How much?

What is acceptable and what isn't...

How much?

Unread postby RoadieRumours on Sat May 03, 2008 5:01 am

What do you think is a fair wage for what you do, at the various levels of the game?
(e.g. toilet tour / club / theatre / arena / stadium etc.)
RoadieRumours
Site Admin

Re: How much?

Unread postby T1000 on Mon May 05, 2008 4:14 pm

crewspace wrote:What do you think is a fair wage for what you do, at the various levels of the game?
(e.g. toilet tour / club / theatre / arena / stadium etc.)

Well, there's a big one. I bet there is a whole bunch of people watching this thread waiting for someone to take the plunge first...
T1000

Main job: Backline

Unread postby Darkside on Tue May 13, 2008 8:09 pm

Right i'll kick it off,
Having TM'd all of the above types of tours, and also being very aware of the financial impact on the artist, and before anyone bleats about how much money the artist's are making, think again, you'd be surprised. On most tours the artist can earn less than the crew for the same period of work, you could argue that they are getting it back thru album sales, no neccessarily so now adays.
But i digress , so here is my ideas of decent money
I should say that i do believe in equality, not a big fan of eveyone getting different rates, sure everyone has different skill levels, and different degrees of difficulty with their jobs, but it's a team at the end of the day. but you couldn't pay me enough to be a monitor man

Toilets tours : If it's first time out for a baby band then that's one for the new boys, if they get £100 a day then good luck, a TM who may also do FOH should be around £150 ( Twin rooms travel lodge )

Decent club size venues 600 to 1000 ( Twin rooms Premier Inn )

average should be around £175 to 200 ( no catering so £20 PD's)
TM £250

Theatre Tour : £250 per man ( Singles Novotel )
TM £300
Arena's : £300 per man ( Singles Radisson )
TM £350
I know some people will disagree with me and probably value them selves higher, however if you can get more money, then good luck.... It won't be on my budget.
Darkside

Main job: TManager

Unread postby Paul Barker on Wed May 14, 2008 1:09 am

Have to agree with dark there
Paul Barker

Main job: FOH - Audio

Unread postby BubbaSez on Thu May 15, 2008 5:28 am

£250 a day on theaters? - I'm getting screwed!!

I'm still doing around £150, (guitar tech) but I'm on a six month contract, so in some ways, it evens out - not having to take your chances and all that.
BubbaSez

Unread postby BubbaSez on Thu May 15, 2008 5:29 am

£250 a day on theaters? - I'm getting screwed!!

I'm still doing around £150, (guitar tech) but I'm on a six month contract, so in some ways, it evens out - not having to take your chances and all that.
BubbaSez

Unread postby waxy on Fri May 16, 2008 1:03 pm

so what about someone doing double duty, (such as myself)...
TM + FOH/Monitors?
TM + backline?

also, the us pays a lot less...
any thoughts?
waxy

Main job: FOH/TM/Monitors

Unread postby mikekent on Wed Jun 11, 2008 9:51 am

fuck guys, i know that the dollar is amazingly weak but still. 250 pounds per day that is $500 i know bands, that are baby bands mind you. but they want to pay that per week. i guess that is one of the reasons american bands are buying flights and bringing there techs with them. hell for that matter i got tours in europe with european bands for $2000 per week. and they were loving it. even with having flying me over. is the cost of living really that high? or are some of us getting greedy.
mikekent

Main job: sound engineer

Unread postby SheffGruff on Fri Jun 13, 2008 3:31 pm

The cost of living is considerably higher in the EU, but particularly in the UK, when compared to the US. Owning (and also renting) a house costs more, because of a shortage of suitable housing forcing prices up. Reversing this trend is difficult because the UK is such a small island, land space still comes at a premium. Also, tax in the UK is a lot higher - compare VAT at 17.5% to what you would normally pay in various states in the USA. Fuel is another over-priced commodity here - rising oil prices have affected both the USA and the UK but we are taxed to death on fuel, which also affects our utility bills.

The UK also suffers increasingly from over-regulation in any business larger than a sole trader. For instance, lorry drivers here are strictly regulated and must by law keep tacho-time charts which can be inspected on demand by the police and other authorities. Such laws are getting worse, so for example "professional drivers" will in two years time have to undertake 35 hours of professional driving instruction every five years or so. This will cost each driver around £35 per hour, so you can imagine the impact this will have on a haulage company's training bill. So next time someone wants to put on a show, they often baulk at the cost of something like trucking compared to US prices, and thats the reason why. In fairness, its probably better than taking the attitude of "take more speed and drive until you crash the truck".

Given the fact that I have to pay more money on Road Tax, rent, fuel, Public Liability Insurance, safety equipment, office utilities, gas/electric and still earn a living whilst handing over a larger chunk over to HM Government every January than my US counterparts, I don't think it is because people are greedy - they just need to pay their bills.
SheffGruff

Main job: Lighting Tech

Unread postby T1000 on Thu Jun 19, 2008 6:04 pm

mikekent wrote:250 pounds per day that is $500

I think you will find that there are very few techs on that amount. You would have to be in arenas to get anything even nudging the £200 mark, in which case the band should be making money and in a position to pay wages at this level without it being an issue.
T1000

Main job: Backline

Next

Return to Pay and conditions