For All having to deal with the "JOCK TAX"

that may affect us all...

For All having to deal with the "JOCK TAX"

Unread postby ckrmb2 on Sat Aug 02, 2008 2:39 pm

I'm about to start another tour in which their payroll company enforces the dreaded "jock tax". For those of you who have been lucky enough to avoid it, it's a state and local tax that is levied on athletes, entertainers and in turn, their support staff, for every single state you work in while on tour. Which means multiple tax filings at the end of year along with a much higher fee to your accountant. What is frustrating is the fact that even though I wasn't in a state for 24 hours, I found out I owed them money!! So I've done a bit of research as this really pisses me off. There's an organization, www.taxfoundation.org, that has been trying to change this tax for the the past 5 years. They have been trying to get a bill passed in congress that won't get rid of the tax, as they say that will be impossible, but will limit it's use to how much time you have spent in that particular state. For instance, in and out, spending maybe 2-3 days, not taxed. There for a few weeks, taxed. Although getting rid of this tax would be the best thing, this bill will help out a lot of us. In order to do that though, they need support. They wrote an article a few years ago that was picked up by the press but after a few weeks slowly faded out. The problem, they concentrated on the athletes and artists that make the millions who can afford to pay this tax. Now, they would like to concentrate on the support staff, the ones who don't make the millions. They would like to write another article and get this back to the attention of congress. If you're interested, please call Bill Ahern at (+1) 202-464-5101. His number is listed on the taxfoundation website. All this will be confidential. You do not need to send him your name, the name of the artist, etc. What he would like is how many states you paid tax in, what you owed, etc. Please let's all get together and do this. The more, the merrier, and the better chance we have!
ckrmb2

Main job: lighting

Re: For All having to deal with the "JOCK TAX"

Unread postby horseshit on Thu Sep 18, 2008 12:55 pm

Any roadie that pays tax is not a roadie. Everyone knows about descripentcies
horseshit

Main job: driver

Return to Rumours and News